Puducherry Fast Facts
South of the Tamilnadu
The climate of Pondicherry is very much pleasant throughout the year. In summers the max temperature is around 38 degrees and in winters it is around 20 degrees or low. Even the rainy season lasts from July till November.
Tourist Attractions of Pondicherry :
Aurobindo Ashram, Botanical Garden, French Institute etc.
Best Time To Visit :
October to April
About Pondicherry Tourism
If your are one of those who want to explore the flavor of French colonial era, then must say that Pondicherry travel is the ideal thing for you to opt. Once a French colonial establishment, this Union Territory is a top travel attraction of today's time. A serene and picture perfect town, the silent beauty of Puducherry will surely leave you wanting for more.
What more, the exotic beaches and the historical wonders located here make this town a popular tourist hotspot. Not to forget the tasty cuisines of Pondicherry, that still favor the colonial flavors.
History of Puducherry - The French Era
Ever since the beginning, this territory was always under the French influence who came here in 17th century. While the rest of the country was under British rule, it was the only town that came under French. This in turn intensified the clashes between The French armies and the British. It was only until 1954 that Pondicherry came under Indian government and was declared a Union Territory.
Places To Visit in Pondicherry India
Aurobindo Ashram :
The Spiritual Connection
1. Established in the year 1926, this ashram attracts the travelers from all around the world.
2. Come here to experience and explore the world of peace of body and soul.
3. Famous for its yoga therapies and meditation techniques, this ashram is a must visit for everyone.
4. Apart from yoga the teachings of Sri Aurobindo are also taught here by his disciples.
5. There is also an educational center which hosts lectures, screens films and holds plays on different themes.
The French Institute :
The French Connection
1. An impressive legacy of the French, this institute was built in French architectural style.
2. The institute has a great collection of old French books some of which are very rare.
3. Overlooking the sea, Romain Rolland library of the institute has a huge collection of 60,000 books.
The Pondicherry Museum :
Exploring The History
1. The Pondicherry Museum has an exclusive collection of various art forms, Pallava sculptures.
2. Along with different handicraft items, weaponry, an old palanquin and certain other interesting items of the French period.
3. The museum also throws a lot of light on history of the place.
The Botanical Garden :
Take A Walk With Nature
1. If you love nature then the Botanical Garden of Pondicherry is ideal for you.
2. It has a variety of trees and flower species to see here.
3. The place is best known for its aquarium that has an amazing collection of ornamental fish.
Pondicherry Churches :
The Spiritual Retreat
1. The brilliant architectural style ( having a strong French influence ) of the churches will surely leave you awestruck.
2. It is through the churches that the town have ensured its European charm.
3. The church of Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception or Notre Dame de la Conception is almost 300 years old.
4. Our Lady of Angels church preserves an oil painting gifted by Napoleon III.
Pondicherry Temples :
A Must Visit
1. Along with its churches there are many Hindu temples that one can visit here.
2. Most of the temples here belong to ancient times and are dedicated to Lord Ganesha.
3. The most revered is Vinaynagar Manakula temple famous for a golden dome and a collection of 40 beautiful friezes.
4. The fire festival held in the temple premises in July-August attracts tourists in large numbers.
The Pondicherry Beach :
Nature At Its Best
1. Looking for a peaceful time then beaches of Puducherry are the best option.
2. Known for its scenic beauty and peaceful environment, these beaches are a big travel attraction of the town.
3. Most tourists come to Pondicherry beach to spend their leisure time.
4. There is also a 4 meter high statue of Mahatma Gandhi and French World War I memorial situated on the beach.
5. The 150-year-old lighthouse on the beach further adds color to it.
Puducherry Travel Information
How To Reach Pondicherry
The nearest landing facility is in Chennai at a distance of 165 km. Chennai is connected with all major air destinations of India. International flights also operate to Chennai.
The nearest railhead from Pondicherry is Villupuram at a distance of 32 km. Local trains operate between Villupuram and Chennai regularly.
Buses are available to Pondicherry from Chennai and many other destinations of Tamil Nadu. The road distance between Chennai and Pondicherry is 142 km.
Where To Stay In Pondicherry
Pondicherry has good accommodation facilities in budget, mid-range and top-end categories.
Hotels in the luxury category are Ananda Inn and Pondicherry Ashok.
Examples of good hotels in mid-range category are Adhitya, Ajantha, Nadesh and Sooriya.
Pondicherry Distances From Other Important Cities
Distance Between Chennai and Pondicherry :
Distance from Pondicherry to Chennai is 137 Kilometers / 85 Miles
Villupuram to Pondicherry Distance :
There are direct buses from Villupuram to Pondicherry.
Shopping in Pondicherry
Finally before wrapping from this town do not forget to make your wallet a little lighter. Yes this town is a nice shopping destination for the travelers. The exquisite local handicraft items are the best buy here. Also Pondicherry being a tax free zone, all items from garments to cars are in great demand here.
Sojourn Southern Tour Packages
Highlights : Kanchipuram,
Mahabalipuram, Auroville, Coromandel Coast, Chidambaram,
Gangaikodacholapuram, Kumbakonam, Ghats, Spice Plantation, Jungle Walk,
Periyar National Park, Backwater, Kathakali Dance.