Varanasi India – Fast Facts
Where Is Varanasi :
ON the banks of Ganga in Uttar Pradesh
Best Time To Visit :
September to April
Varanasi Attractions :
Kashi Vishwanath Temple, Ghats
Varanasi Weather :
The summers are generally very hot and the winters can be very chilly. The place also receive good rainfall.
Visiting The Sacred Varanasi City
Considered to be India's most sacred city, Varanasi or Benaras or Kashi ( as it was called earlier ) is the biggest pilgrim attraction of the country. Located on the banks of sacred Ganga river this city is the perfect destination for those who are in search of inner peace.
Connect with God while visiting the temples in Varanasi or attending the evening aarti at Ganga ghat. Nothing can be more relaxing and peace giving then it. Lets explore the different moods of the city.
Tourist Attractions of Varanasi India
Being the religious hub of the country the city sees many devotees flocking its streets in large number every year. Along with the pilgrim destinations there is so much else to see in here that you will never get enough of it. Lets have a look.
Ghats of Varanasi : Wash Away Your Sins
1. Regarded as sacred by Hindus, every ghat of Varanasi has a history attached to them.
2. Some of these sacred ghats also find mention in our ancient scriptures.
3. The most prominent is the Dashashwamedha ghat.
4. The ghats of Varanasi are best viewed at dawn, as a steady stream of devotees perform various kinds of rituals and earthen lamps are immersed in the waters.
Durga Temple :
1. The Durga temple of Varanasi is also held in high reverence by Hindus.
2. Goddess Durga is worshiped as an embodiment of shakti or female power, clad in red and riding a tiger.
3. The deity is shown in an angry posture armed with a trident, discus and sword.
4. The earlier ritual of animal sacrifice in the temple has now been replaced by a symbolic mark in vermilion.
Kashi Vishwanath Temple : The Most Famous of All
1. Also known as the ‘Golden Temple, this temple is dedicated to Lord Shiva as Vishveswara (Vishwanath).
2. In 17th century, Mughal Emperor Aurangzeb destroyed the original temple and constructed a mosque over it.
3. Even today, you will find traces of the old temple behind the mosque.
4. Vishwanath Temple was rebuilt by Rani Ahalyabai Holkar of Indore in the year 1776.
5. This temple is called the ‘Golden Temple’ because of the gold plating on the towers (shikharas) provided by Maharaja Ranjit Singh of Lahore in 1835.
6. Non-Hindus (non-believers) are not allowed into the temple complex, they can look inside the temple through a hole in the wall or one can see the roof of the temple from the roof of the Trimurti Guest House.
Bharat Mata Temple :
1. Inaugurated by Mahatma Gandhi in 1936, the temple houses one of the perfect relief maps of India carved out of marble.
2. The temple was actually gifted by nationalists Babu Shiv Prasad Gupta and Durga Prasad Khatri.
3. Instead of worshiping any religious deity, the temple is dedicated to motherland India.
Bharat Kala Bhawan :
1. Established in the year 1950, Bharat Kala Bhawan is famous for its impressive collection of miniature paintings.
2. The wide collection of the place includes Rajasthani paintings, pahari paintings, Nepalese & Tibetan Thankas.
3. The museum has also preserved many ancient scriptures. The museum offers a nice break from the religious places of Varanasi.
Travel To Varanasi – Nearby Excursions
Sarnath Temple :
The Buddhist Center
1. Sarnath is 10 km from Varanasi and is the place where Lord Buddha delivered his first sermon after gaining enlightenment.
2. Also one can see magnificent stupas like Dharmarajika Stupa and Dhamekh Stupa and other impressive buildings.
3. All these stupas were erected by Ashoka during his reign.
1. Ramnagar at a distance of 14 km from Varanasi is a place famous for the royal museum.
2. Its display of royal collections include vintage cars, royal palkies, swords, old guns, ivory work and antique clocks.
Chunar Fort :
The Historical Marvel
1. The historical fort of Chunar was built by one of the greatest warriors in Indian history- Sher Shah Suri.
2. The attractions inside the fort are sonwa mandap, sun clock and a huge well.
3. A splendid view of river Ganga is also available from the fort. The fort is at a distance of 40 km from Varanasi.
Shopping In Varanasi
Famous all over for its Benarsi saree, one can get best deals here. Apart from these popular silk fabrics, those interested in religion may also pick up books on religion and other religious items like beads, incense sticks and small statues of gods and goddesses.
How To Reach Varanasi
Varanasi figures in the air map of India. Both state carrier Indian Airlines and private service providers operate flights to Varanasi from various destinations of India including national capital Delhi.
Varanasi is well connected to the rest of the country by railways. There are trains to Varanasi from many destinations of India. Varanasi has two railway stations-Kashi and Varanasi Junction.
A good road network connects Varanasi with the rest of Uttar Pradesh and other destinations of north India. Deluxe bus services are also available from Delhi and Lucknow.
Where To Stay In Varanasi
Varanasi offers a wide range of accommodation facilities according to your budget. There are hotels in all categories-budget, mid-range and top-end. Among the best luxury hotels of Varanasi are
2. Taj Ganges.
3. Good hotels in the mid range category are Barahdari
4. Golden Buddha
6. It is worth mentionable that many dharamshalas are also available in Varanasi for staying.
Varanasi Vacation Tour Packages
Highlights : Amber Fort,
Elephant's, Royal Palace Museum, Jantar Mantar, Hawa Mahal,
Fatehpur Sikri, Taj Mahal, Khajuraho Temples, Ghats, Red Fort, Chandni
Chowk, Jama Masjid, Qutub Minar, Humayun's Tomb.
Highlights : City Palace,
Jantar Mantar, Hawa Mahal, Amber Palace, Ranthambore National Park, Taj
Mahal, Red Fort, Fatehpur Sikri, Ganges, Ghats.
Highlights : Red Fort, Taj
Mahal, City Palace, Amber Fort, Ganges, Ghats, Elephant Safaris,
Annapurnas, Sarankot, Marsyangdi, Trisuli River Valleys, Pashupatinath,
Highlights : Amber Fort with
Elephant Ride, Ajanta & Ellora Caves, Kathmandu Valley, Mount
Highlights : Shiva Temples,
Shiva Nataraja, Ramana Maharshi's Ashram, Skanda Ashram, Virupaksha
Meditation Cave, Ashram of Mata Amritanandamayi, Arabian Sea, Ammachi's
Ashram, Ganges, Buddha, Sarnath.