Nainital India - Fast Facts
Where is Nainital :
34, kms from Kathgodam, Uttaranchal
Naini Lake, Snow View, Astronomical Observatory, Hanuman Garhi, The Flatts etc.
Best Time To Visit :
November to March
About Nainital Tourism
Nainital India the famous 'Lake City' is a major tourist attraction of the country.
Situated at an altitude of around 1938 meters, the picturesque location and the
breathtaking view will surely mesmerize you with its charm. Nainital is the largest
and one of the most popular hill resorts of Kumaon region. A glittering jewel in the
Himalayan necklace, Nainital has grown around a 'tal' (mountain-lake) that is why
it was named 'Nainital'.
Summers during March to May are very pleasant with temperature never
crossing 27°C and minimum is about 10°C. Winters during November to
February offer a chilly climate with a maximum of 15°C and minimum
going below 0°C. Heavy snowfalls are common during winters. Monsoons
are very weak during June to September.
Places To Visit In Nainital India
Naini Lake - The Romantic Getaway
Snow View - Adore Himalayas on Nainital Vacations
- The most popular face of the Nainital tourism,Naini Lake is a host in itself and attracts large number of tourists every year.
- During night the lake looks more beautiful when the myriad of bulbs from the hill sides and hanging near the lake's edge, stab their magical light into the calm waters of the lake.
- Apart from enjoying its irresistible beauty there is so much to do here for the holiday-makers.
- You can enjoy yachting, boating or paddling the boat etc. across the lake by paying a reasonable fare. Also take lots of Nainital photos to take away sweet memories with you.
The Flatts - Sit Back And Relax
- Located at a height of 7,450 ft Snow View is an ideal destination for adventure lovers.
- Try out the aerial ropeway to reach here and to adore the beauty of tourist places in Manali.
- Once here you also get spectacular views of the glittering snows of Himalayas around.
- Hire a pony and get a pony ride to get more close to the nature.
Mall Road - Ideal For Shopping
- Located at the northern side of the Naini Lake, the Flatts is known for variety of leisure activities.
- Evenings are heavily crowded here, as people of the town flock this spot for passing a good time.
- There is a band stand, a Chat Market and the Bhotia Market where to you can roam around.
Governor's House (Raj Bhawan) -
- Running on one side of Naini Lake, the Mall Road has now been renamed as Govind Ballabh Pant Marg.
- Mall Road is the main link joining the two ends of Naini Lake, Mallital and Tallital.
- There are a number of hotels, restaurants, shops, banks, travel agencies and other business concerns.
Nainital Tourism Zoo - See The Wild Animals
- Built originally by British Government as residence of Governor of North West Province, it is now the official residence of Governor of Uttaranchal.
- The Governor's House consists of lovely garden, swimming pool and golf links.
- Other attractions in the complex are Jhandidhar Modi Heights and Munshi heights.
- Nainital Zoo is located around one km away from the main bus terminal.
- Situated at an altitude of 2,100 m, the sprawling open area is home to wild animals like
Himalayan Black Bear, Siberian Tiger, Leopard, Monkeys, Wolf, Palm Civet Cat, Silver Pheasants,
Sambar, Barking Deer, Ghoral, Hill Fox and Rose-ringed Parakeet.
A latest addition in the tourist attractions of Nainital, the Caves Garden is situated at
Sukha Tal, just one km away from Mallital, close to Kumaon University Campus.
A religious centre, Hanuman Garhi is around 3.5 kms away from the Nainital bus stand.
Set an an altitude of 1951 mts, Hanuman Garhi is known for the Hanumargarh temple,
dedicated to Lord Hanuman besides Lord Rama and Shiva. In addition, this place is also
famous for its wonderful sun set view, in fact, here the setting sun will fill your
mind to the brim.
Naina Peak or China Peak :
Nainital India - Nearby Excursions
Astronomical Observatory :
- The highest peak of Nainital, Naina Peak is situated at a height of 2,611 metres, at a distance of about 6 kms from the town.
- Naina Peak commands a splendid view of bright snow-laden Himalayas from Api and Nari peaks of Nepal in the east to Bandar Punch in west.
- You can hire ponies or horses from Snow View or Mallital to reach this peak.
9 km away from Nainital, the Aryabatta Research
Institute of Observational Sciences (ARIES) is perched atop the Maora Peak (1951 m).
You can reach to this astronomical observatory on horse back or on foot from Hanumangarhi,
just one km away from the observatory.
10 km away from Nainital, Kilbury is easily accessible by a
good motor-able road. Situated at an altitude of 2,194 mts, Kilbury is an ideal place for
a quiet and peaceful vacation.
Situated 11 km away from Nainital, at an elevation of 1,706 kms
above the sea level, Bhowali is known for its pristine beauty and also a hill fruit mart.
Just 3 km from Bhowali, Ghorakhal is mainly known for the temple of Lord Golu and Sainik School.
Kainchi Dham :
17 km from Nainital, on the Nainital - Almora Road, Kainchi Dham is a modern pilgrimage centre.
Located 22 km away from Nainital and 11 kms from Bhowali, Bhimtal (1,370 m) is an enchanting place.
There is a beautiful lake which gives spectacular vistas to tourists visiting.
Sat Tal : Enjoy Peaceful Nainital Vacations
About 23 km away from Nainital (1,370 m), Sat Tal is wonderful spot having cluster of lakes lying amidst the dense oak forest.
Naukuchia Tal :
Naukuchia Tal (1,220 mts) is 26 km away from Nainital and 4 km from Bhimtal.
A lovely deep clean lake, Naukuchia Tal lies within an enchanting valley offering ample opportunity for rowing,
paddling or yachting, angling and bird watching.
A picturesque place, Mukteshwar lies 51 km away from Nainital, at
an altitude of 2,286 metres. Mukteshwar was developed by the Britishers as research and education institute.
Located at a distance of 60 km from Nainital, Ranikhet is a beautiful
hill station. Undoubtedly a tourist's paradise, Ranikhet is flanked by the majestic pine trees.
If you wish to spend a quiet holiday in the lap of mother nature, away from the
din and dust and hustle and bustle of big cities, Kausani is perfect place for you.
Baijnath is located 19 km away from Kausani towards Bagehwar.
Here, you can see ancient temples of Shiva, Parvati, Ganesh, Surya, Kuber, Brahma
and Chandica, built in the 13th century AD.
One of the most scenic spot in the Kumaon Himalayas, Binsar
is located at a distance of 95 kms from Nainital. Binsar is also home to
Binsar Wildlife Sanctuary
where you can see a variety of flora and fauna.
Corbett National Park :
Corbett National Park, one of the important wildlife sanctuaries of India is situated at a
distance of 128 km from Nainital Himachal Pradesh. Take an excursion to this national park and see
a variety of wild animals as well as bird species.
Shopping in Nainital India
Mall Road is the main shopping area in Nainital, which houses many good shops,
where you can buy a range of items. Amongst the variety of items, main items
you can buy here are the woollen garments, candles and decorative items made
from wood. The decorative colorful candles are very popular among tourists and
you will surely take back some beautiful candles. Bohtia Bazaar is famous for
the woollen garments while the Mall Road and the Mallital market are good places
for candles and wooden items.
Where To Stay In Nainital
From small inns to 5-Star hotels, there is a profusion of hotels in Nainital.
Equipped with all the necessary amenities, the hotels in Nainital provide you
a comfortable as well as a memorable stay.
- Alka "The Lake Side Hotel" (Mall Road)
- Arif Castles (Mallital), Classic (Mall Road)
- Balrampur House (Mallital)
- Swiss Hotel (Mallital)
- Palace Resort (Mallital)
- Welcome Resort (Tallital)
- Manu Maharani (Mallital)
- Royal Hotel (Mallital)
- Shervani Hilltop Inn (Mallital)
How To Reach Nainital
By Air :
- Hotel Krishna (Mall Road)
- Hotel Shalimar (Mall Road)
- Hotel Payal (Tallital)
- Hotel Savoy (Tallital)
- Radha Continental (Mallital)
- Pratap Regency (Mall Road)
Nearest airport is located at Pantnagar, which is 70 kms away from Nainital.
Flights are available from Delhi to Pantnagar. Jagson Airlines operates daily
flights (except Sundays) between Delhi and Pantnagar.
By Train :
Katgodam (35 kms) is the major railhead near Nainital.
The railway station connects Nainital with Delhi, Dehradun, Howrah and other
important places of the country. Ranikhet Express and Uttaranchal Sampark Kranti
Express run every day between Delhi and Kathgodam.
By Bus :
National Highway No. 87 connects Nainital with the rest
of the country. Frequent roadways buses run to Nainital from Delhi, Agra, Haridwar,
Dehradun, Kanpur, Lucknow and many other nearby places. Luxury coaches are also
available from Delhi to Nainital.
Distances of some important places from Nainital are Kathgodam (34 kms), Haldwani
(40 kms), Ranikhet (62 kms), Almora (64 kms), Ramnagar (65 kms), Bareilly (140 kms),
Pithoragarh (186 kms), Haridwar (245 kms), Dehradun (300 kms), Delhi (310 kms),
Badrinath (334 kms), Lucknow (400 kms) and Agra (403 kms).